9.4.12

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas



I recently happened upon this post by A Cup Of Jo and it got me thinking. I love the idea of honoring those random little things that people are good at! Not big things- like writing or doing math or dancing- but tiny things that seem insignificant yet make us a little bit proud of ourselves. Why not share those with the world more often?

For example, I am good at remembering names and being on time. I am also good at saving the most perfect bite of food for last, so that all of the flavors can explode at once and leave me happy and satisfied, kind of like a fireworks finale in my mouth.

It was hard to do that for this meal, however, because every single bite was so delicious I never wanted it to end! I had never prepared homemade enchiladas before, but now that I've tried it I'm not sure if I can ever go back to the frozen microwavable kind.


I got this wonderful recipe here from Oh She Glows, but made a few adjustments. I didn't have any bell pepper, so I used two chopped zucchini instead. I used chard in place of spinach and topped the thing off with daiya cheddar cheese. I also made the cilantro avocado cream sauce, but unfortunately wasn't able to photograph it before people ate it all up!

I made these for the same meal where these were the dessert. Holy moly what a delicious dinner. I think enchiladas are officially my go-to crowd pleaser when you have to cook for guests. Vegans and non-vegans alike will love them!


I'm about to be launched into tech week for my spring dance show, which will be insane! When things get really busy, though, and you feel like you just can't do anything right, it's nice to go back and remember that you are good at things, even the little ones!

So, what are you good at?

8 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering remembering these! Perhaps I will have to make them tonight!
    What little things am I good at? Getting back to people right away with a yes or no answer. Making coffee. Remembering where things are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make a pumpkin enchilada at work that sounds pretty similar. So delicious!
    I'm good at organizing, writing long letters, and smiling far too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if there is such a thing a smiling too much! Oh and pumpkin enchiladas sound delicious as well :)

      Delete
  3. FRICK. Why does Daiya make everything look so much better? Even without it, these look delish.

    I am good at talking with plants and animals =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would definitely still be delicious without the daiya, but you're right- it does make everything look so much more mouth-watering!

      Delete
  4. These look amazing Ruby - you and your dinner guests were well fed.

    Homemade enchiladas are the best & easier aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes they are- everything is always better homemade, in my opinion!

      Delete
  5. THIS is amazing. Love the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete